Saturday, December 26, 2009

Things to be grateful for - Dec 21-26

December 21 - I'm grateful that the craft beer industry took off in the United States at just the right time! I remember hearing lots of jokes about American beer (how is American beer like a canoe...they're both f'ing close to water). But who's laughing now? The beer here is among the best in the world, and there is lots of it. I'm particularly lucky to live in Portland, where we have more breweries than any other city in the world! 31 and counting! Competition breeds excellence.

December 22 - This one may sound weird, but I'm grateful for all of my ex-girlfriends. I believe that every one of them contributed to the person I am today. I learned something from each relationship. I learned who I am. I learned how to appreciate people who have different opinions than I do. And, I learned different outlooks on life. Thank you for helping me find me way. Most importantly, I learned what I wanted in a woman and in a partner, and I was able to recognize that when I met my wife.

December 23 - I grew up an only child. Yet, I have a huge family. 41 first cousins. Over 200 second cousins. I'm part of a huge, loving family. I consider many of my cousins to be sisters and brothers, and I'm grateful for that.

December 24 - I'm grateful that today is Christmas Eve, and my kids are old enough to sort of get it. I get to play Santa tonight!

December 25 - I'm grateful that my parents were able to make it to Portland safely and relatively on time, even though there was an ice storm brewing in the midwest today and yesterday. Merry Christmas to all!

December 26 - In light of the attempted terrorist attack yesterday (somebody tried to blow up a Northwest flight bound for Detroit from Amsterdam on Christmas day), I feel this one is timely and fairly important. I'm grateful for all the men and women who are brave enough to fight for our freedom and our safety as part of the U.S. military. Salute to the armed forces! I appreciate all you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment